Tuesday, February 21, 2017

FA Target: WR Desean Jackson




It's starting to get closer to that time where we start getting a idea of what direction teams are going to take during the off-season. For the Bucs it is pretty simple as they have to add more weapons on offense for Jameis Winston and company. The unit needs more speed and dynamic playmakers to compliment Mike Evans and Cameron Brate. Recently, I mention the possibility of signing Redskins WR Pierre Garcon who is set to become a free agent as he could be a solid number two option for the Bucs. However in the article, I also mention Desean Jackson who is also a free agent and is already a hot topic among Bucs fans as they really want more speed added to the team. Well earlier today, Espn's Josina Anderson got Bucs fans excited with this tweet about a possible connection with the Bucs and Desean Jackson.
This just shows what kind of man Jameis Winston is as it looks like he has build multiple connections through his football career. This also shows that many veterans around the league respect his game and wouldn't mind being on his team. I think adding a player like Desean Jackson would be a solid move for the Bucs as he could be that veteran WR plus provide speed that can open up the field for Mike Evans to operate. With that being said, Jackson has been on record that he would like to stay in Washington but also left the door open to go elsewhere as well per Redskins.com.
I do want to still be here,” Jackson said Thursday, via Redskins.com. “My family and my house, I have everything here and I don’t want to be in a transaction and move. First things first, I do want to be here and hopefully we can make it work. But once again this is a business so things happen. I’m just really excited about the opportunity I have to sit and now the ball’s in my corner a little bit and see what we can do. I’m just excited and I’m going to let my agent care of all that. Ready to just sit back and whatever offers come in but obviously, like I said, I do want to be here.”
Jackson is coming off a 1000 yard season in which he averaged 18 yards per catch which still shows even at age 30, he has the speed to make big plays downfield. Critics tend to point out his size and injury concerns but I would say he has done a good job to overcome those and only missed one game last season. I feel Jackson could have the type of impact that a former Buc had back from 2005 to 2007 if healthy. That former Buc would be Joey Galloway who put up three consecutive 1000 yard seasons and at the time was the Bucs go to guy. He did this while being in his mid 30's and without much help as well. Galloway was the offense for the Bucs during that time and that was with Brian Griese, Chris Sims, and Jeff Garcia as his QB.

 

I think Jackson can make a similar impact as he still has top notch speed and is in great shape. 
Plus he will have a coach who can scheme to his strengths and a legit number one Wr next to him in Mike Evans which will allow Jackson to face single coverage which is already a mismatch. Now some would say the Bucs need someone younger and with more size who has a bigger catch radius since Jameis struggles with the deep ball. Those are valid points and there are signs that Dirk Koetter's offense does work better with bigger wideouts and Jameis is used to taller targets i.e Mike Evans, Kelvin Benjamin. However, I feel Desean is a rare athlete and would only make this offense better and ultimately help Jameis grow as a QB and take that step towards elite.

With Jameis and Desean already having that connection, it should help the Bucs if they do decide to target Jackson in free agency. I have said multiple times that the Bucs are going to add multiple receivers this off-season and getting a player like Desean Jackson wouldn't be a bad start. Now there will be competition for his services as he will have multiple suitors so it could come down to how much the Bucs are willing to pay and if they think he is the right fit for the team. I say the Bucs will be definitely one of the first teams to call Jackson once free agency begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment